- How many phone calls do you make every day?
Approximately 5-6 phone calls
- How many of them are in English?
- What are the most common reasons people call you at work?
I don’t go to work
- Do you prefer to make a phone call or write an email? Why?
I prefer to make phone calls because they’re easier and more convenient
- What is the most annoying thing about using the phone?
Using all of your mobile data and not being able to call anyone
- What advice would you give to someone who feels nervous about calling someone?
Don’t be nervous and just be yourself
Task 2: Complete the phrasal verbs with words given below.
slow down : to reduce the speed at which something happens, e.g. you speak
think through : to carefully consider the possible results of doing something
hang on : to end a phone conversation
write down : to record information on paper
freeze up : to be unable to think of anything to say, especially because you are nervous
calm …….. : to begin to feel more relaxed and less emotional
- How often do you feel stressed about having to phone someone?
Only when I don’t know the person very well.
- Which pieces of advice mentioned in the video do you sometimes follow?
I don’t follow any of those tips, because I don’t have trouble talking on the phone.
- What is stressful about using English on the phone
- Have you ever had any misunderstanding during a phone call?